April 8, 2016
Roasted Tomato and Fennel Soup with Fontina Crostini
- 8 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 Fennel, diced ½"
- 1/4 cup Onion, diced
- 2 tbsps Garlic, whole cloves
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh oregano
- 1 quart Vegetable stock
- 6 Slices fresh baguette, cut diagonally in ½" slices
- 6 Fontina cheese cut into small wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Soup:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine roma tomatoes, fennel, onion, garlic, oregano, and ¼ cup olive oil in a roasting pan.
- Roast in oven fo 12 to 15 minutes until tomatoes begin to clear.
- Remove from pan.
- Add to the stock in a 4-quart pot.
- Boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree in blender.
- Check seasonings.
For the Crostini:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly brush the bread with olive oil and arrange slices on a flast sheet pan.
- Bake in oven for approximately 5 to 8 minutes, until lightly tasted.
- Place the cheese on the crostini and bake another 2 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt.
Pour the hot soup into bowls. Garnish the top of each soup with a crostini. Sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.