Sweet Potato Soup
April 8, 2016
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Apple, Cinnamon, and Sage Croutons
- 2 tbsps Butter
- 1 Sweet Onion, diced ½
- 2 stalks Celery, diced ½
- 1 tsp Garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Sage, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard, dry
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 6 cups Water, chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 1 cup Apple juice
- 6 Sweet potatoes roasted (will yield approximately 2 cups puree)
- 1/4 cup Half & half
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1 tbsp Apple juice
- 1/4 cup Toasted Croutons with butter and sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare the Sweet Potatoes:
- Roast in a 375°F oven for 45 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Cool to room temperature and scoop out the meat of the potato.
- Reserve until ready to use (refrigerated).
To Prepare the Soup:
- Heat butter in a 4-quart pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, and celery.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until translucent.
- Add the thyme, mustard, and cinnamon sticks.
- Cook 1 - 2 minutes to release the flavors.
- Add the roasted sweet potato, apple juice, and water or stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the half & half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
To Garnish the Soup:
- Mix the sour cream with the chopped sage and apple juice.
- Pour the mixture into a squeeze bottle.
- Squeeze the mixture onto the soup in a design of your choice.
- Sprinkle with the toasted croutons and a fresh sage leaf.