Strawberry-Banana Stuffed French Toast
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 cup Half & half
- 2 tsps Cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 4 2-inch thick slices of french bread
- 1 Banana, ripe, sliced thin
- 2 cups Strawberries, rinsed, stems removed and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tbsps Brown sugar
- 2 tbsps Orange juice
- Powdered Sugar (as needed)
For the Filling:
- Combine the sliced banana, 1 cup of strawberries, 1 tsp cinnamon, brown sugar, and orange juice.
- Mix together just to coat.
- To fill the French toast, using a small sharp knife cut a pocket into each piece of bread keeping three sides intact.
- Spread some of the cream cheese in the pocket.
- Stuff the fruit into the pocket, being careful not to tear the bread.
- Press together gently.
- Continue until all of the bread is stuffed.
For the Batter:
- Mix in a bowl the eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Mix well to combine.
- Set aside until ready to cook.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat.
- Spoon 1 tsp of butter on the warm griddle.
- Dip the stuffed toast in the egg mixture.
- Let it soak in the mixture for 1 minute.
- Turn it over to soak the other side.
- Remove and place on warm griddle with the butter.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides about three to four minutes per side.
- Then place the toast in the oven for 10 minutes.
To serve, cut toast in half from corner to corner and place two halves on each plate. Spoon 1 teaspoon of butter over each piece. Spoon some of the strawberries over and sprinkle with the powdered sugar and cinnamon. Serve with warm maple syrup on the side.