April 6, 2016
Grilled pizza with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and basil
- 1 cup Warm water (105°-115°F)
- 1 Package of dry yeast
- 2 tsps Sugar
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 3 tbsps Pizza sauce or pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup Tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsps Parmesan cheese, grated
- 9 Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Garlic, crushed, to taste
For the Pizza Dough:
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit until yeast is dissolved and mixture starts to foam - approximately 8 minutes.
- Add in the flour and olive oil and mix well with a spoon.
- Cover work area lightly with extra flour. Put dough on table or board and begin to knead by gathering the sides and folding the dough into the center. If dough is sticky, add more flour as needed. Knead until smooth.
- Using a cleam bowl, brush the bowl lightly with olive oil, put dough back in the bowl and cover with a towel. Let sit 1½ - 2 hours at room temperature. Punch down the center of the dough and roll into a new ball and let rise 1 more hour.
- Roll out with a rolling pin or by hand to a 12" circle or two 6" circles. It should be ¼" - 1/8" thick.
Cooking the Pizza:
- Heat BBQ grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Lightly oil the pizza rounds and grill on one side for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Remove pizzas from heat and add toppings to the cooked side. Place back on the grill and cook another 3 - 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bottom is cooked.