April 6, 2016
Mushroom and spring pea risotto
- 3 tbsps Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Shallots
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup Peas, fresh, shelled, blanched
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, such as Oyster or Shiitak, sliced, cooked in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes
- 1/4 cup White wine
- 6 cups Chicken or vegetable stock, heated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsps Whole butter
- 3 tbsps Parsley, basil, or tarragon, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the peas briefly in boiling water for about 2 minutes until just slightly soft. Cool and set aside.
- Quickly sauté the mushrooms in olive oil for about 3 minutes until slightly soft. Set aside.
- In a large 4-quart pot heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots. Cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Add the white wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the hot stock 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. Continue until rice is tender on the outside and firm in the center. It should be a little creamy. This will take approx. 18 - 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked mushrooms and peas. Mix well to make sure that it cooks together slightly.
- Add the butter, parmesan cheese and herbs just before serving.