- 12 Large sea scallops (U-10 or 10-20ct.) preferably fresh "Diver" or "Day Boat"
- 1 Sweet onion, cut into bite-sized wedges
- 1 Zucchini and yellow squash, cut into ½" slices
- 2 tsps Chopped garlic
- 1 cup Orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 3 tbsps Ginger, grated
- 1/2 Jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsps Soy sauce
- 4 Tomatoes, skin and seeds removed, cut into ½" dice
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Scallop Brochettes:
Using 12" skewers, place the scallops, onions, and squash on the skewers, alternating between them with 3 pieces per skewer (you may want to use 2 skewers per peron to help keep the items from slipping).
For the Marinade:
- Place 1 tsp chopped garlic, 2 tbsp ginger, orange juice, jalapeño, soy sauce, ¼ cup olive oil, and a pinch of salt and black pepper into a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour over the scallop brochettes and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or until ready to cook.
For the Sauce:
- In a 2-quart sauce pan, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes just until it becomes fragrant and turns a light brown.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger and the tomatoes and mix well.
- Lower the heat and simmer 4 to 8 minutes until the tomatoes are soft but not falling apart.
- Add the sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To Prepare the Scallops:
- To grill the scallops, heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the brochettes for 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove when done (they should be firm on the outside and just turning opaque on the inside).
For the Presentation:
Serve with steamed rice in the center of the plate. Place the brochette on top of the rice and spoon some of the sauce over and around the scallops. Garnish with fresh herbs.