California Avocado and Crab Salad
April 6, 2016
California Avocado and Crab Salad with Grapefruit and Caviar
- 2 Haas Avocados, mashed
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2 cups Crab meat, picked through to remove shells
- 1 tbsp Tarragon, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp Green Onion, chopped finely
- 2 tbsps Celery, chopped finely
- 3 tbsps Crème fraîche
- 2 tsps Red Pepper, diced ¼
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 Grapefruit, cut into segments
- 2 tbsps Grapefruit Juice
- 2 tbsps Olive Oil, extra virgin
- 4 tbsps Caviar
- 3 ozs Watercress
- 1 Tomato, halved and seeded, keeping the outside membrane intact
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Large heart-shaped cookie cutter
- 1 Small heart-shaped cookie cutter
For the Avocado:
- Mash avocados in a bowl.
- Add half the lime juice and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
For the Crab Salad:
- Combine crab meat, tarragon, green onion, celery, crème fraîche, red pepper, paprika, and the rest of the lime juice in a bowl.
- Mix gently, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
To Finish the Salad:
- Lay large heart-shaped cookie cutter on a plate.
- Fill the heart shape with the avocado mixture and remove the cutter.
- Lay a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter on top of the avocado mixture and gently fill the shape with the crab salad. Remove the cutter.
- Place a tablespoon of Caviar on top of the crab salad.
- Using a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut the hearts out of the outside membrade of the tomato.
- Stick the point of the tomato heart into the caviar.
- Arrange four grapefruit sections around each plate.
- Garnish with watercress and drizzle with grapefruit juice and olive oil.